Sunday, April 1, 2012

C4T Summary #3

Heidi Siwak

I was oringally assigned to follow another blog,but for some reason I had trouble accessing that website. I did choose another blog to comment on. I visited Heidi Siwak's Blog.

Heidi Siwak's is an award winning teacher whose innovative work is creating new models of learning. She has been recognized by the Globe and Mail as one of Canada's innovative teachers. Her students undertake original projects that have included designing an App for the iPhone and hosting the world's first student-led global twitter chat on the Hana's Suitcase. Heidi and her students have recently been recognized with the Ken Spencer Award for innovation in education and the Mind Share Learning Award. She is available for workshops and speaking.
The post I commented on was entitled, Becoming Curators: First Nations Inquiry. Her post about letting her students learn and explore on their own. She put her students through a stimulation that involved them working together in a group making their own decissions. She stated that she didn't have to do any teaching, yet her students still obtained an inordinate amount of formation.

My Comment:
Hello, My name is Jami and I am a student in EDM310 at the University of South Alabama. I really enjoyed reading your blog post. Your approach to letting the students learn on their own was a great idea. Sometimes teachers get so caught up in students having to do projects and assignments one particular way. With your approach the students are free to explore and come up with ideas. This method reminds me a lot of this class that I am taking(EDM310). Being free to explore, and share the information that I have learned. There is no doubt that you are preparing your students for the future.

I will be following your blog and writing a summary on posts I comment on by April 1, 2012. If you would like to check it out you can do so on my blog .
Thank you for the wonderful post!

Road Sign

For my second comment, I commented on the blog post Our Inquiry is Well Underway. This was a follow up from the first post I commented. In this post she shared how her student were working on their museum display projects. She also displayed pictures of students working and some of the tool they were using to do their research. I really like how she was really doing no teach, instead she was able to freely move around the room from group to group asking questions and making suggestions. I enjoyed reading the blog and look foward to visiting to see the end results of the projects. This blog was posted on March 28th.

My Comment:
This sounds wonderful! In this blog post you have displayed a excessive amount of technology in the classroom. What makes it even better is that each student is facilitating their learning through technology. Thanks for sharing the photos. I'm sure that the students are ecstatic about soon having an iPad to work with. I think that iPads are a great asset in the classroom. I've been doing a little research on all the app's that can be used. I would love to know which one's your students found to be beneficial during this project. I am eager to see the final results of the museum display project.

Jami

No comments:

Post a Comment