Sunday, April 29, 2012

C4T Summary #4

head shot

Brian Crosby, an upper elementary teacher for 30 years, guides the learning in a model technology classroom in Sparks, Nevada. He fuses his “at risk” students use of technology with field trips, art, hands-on activities and a problem-based approach, to build their schema of the world while at once connecting them to it.

What Happened To My Pedagogy?
This blog post shared information about experience that he and teachers from his PLN had. The summary gave great details on how the students were blogging in their class. It also showed how the students were using Skype and Google docs in a collaboration with students across the county to write a non-fiction piece. He also shared how the students were excited about researching and how they had embraced using the internet in a safe way. I felt that this was a great post because it touched all the areas in using technology in the classroom. From internet safety to cross country collaboration. It was a Great Read

My Comment:
Hello Mr. Crosby. My name is Jami. I am a student at the University of South Alabama. I have been assigned to visit and comment on your blog for my course EDM310. I enjoyed reading your blog post. I especially loved the project you mention where your students have to work collaboratively with Skype and Google Docs. I am working on a project now which requires me to use those tools. I love how you take precaution about letting your student use the web. It is a good thing to let students have access to it but it is always great to teach and practice using it safely.
It sounds like there is very little opportunity for students to engage in the world of technology. Sometimes school administrators do focus on a strict routine. Although there are guidelines that teachers should follow, they should also be given the opportunity to grow with their students. In this particular instance, today's students should be given a chance to learn with what they are familiar with, which is technology. It should he just as important as any other subject in school.

I will be posting my comments I have have made to your blog to my blog page. I would love for you to visit it and leave any comments that you may have.
MY BLOG


Digital Learning Day
garfield cat

My second blog post was about the nationwide Digital Learning Day which was in February. Digital Learning Day is a nationwide celebration of innovative teaching and learning through digital media and technology that engages students and provides them with a rich, personalized educational experience. On the first Digital Learning Day, a majority of states, hundreds of school districts, thousands of teachers, and nearly 2 million students encouraged the innovative use of technology by trying something new, showcasing success, kicking off project-based learning, or focusing on how digital tools can help improve student outcomes. Mr. Cosby posted a video in honor of Digital learning Day. The video is entitled,Back to the Future.
My Comment:
As I watch the video, getting a glimpse of what it's like to be in your classroom, I got excited! This is the type of teaching I love to see in the classroom. You stated in your video that this method is a step out of the box. I could not agree more. This video is an inspiration for me as I plan to be as creative as possible. I plan to make technology a part of the everyday lesson in hopes to keep creative minds working and still promote academic excellence.

No comments:

Post a Comment